This is a collection of the ten greatest gambling movies we've seen, evaluated, and finally included on our list of all time. Both poker and casino-style games are covered in these films, so there is plenty for all to enjoy.
10. 21 (2008)
"21" is the fact-based story about six MIT students who were trained to become experts in card counting and subsequently took Vegas casinos for millions in winnings.
- Director: Robert Luketic
- Writers: Peter Steinfeld (screenplay), Allan Loeb (screenplay)
- Stars: Jim Sturgess, Kate Bosworth, Kevin Spacey
- Budget: $35,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $24,105,943, 30 March 2008
- Gross USA: $81,159,365
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $159,808,370
9. The Color of Money (1986)
Fast Eddie Felson teaches a cocky but immensely talented protégé the ropes of pool hustling, which in turn inspires him to make an unlikely comeback.
- Director: Martin Scorsese
- Writers: Walter Tevis (novel), Richard Price (screenplay)
- Budget:$13,800,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $6,357,877, 19 October 1986
- Gross USA: $52,293,982
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $52,293,982
8. The Gambler (1974)
Axel Freed is a literature professor. He has the gambling vice. When he has lost all of his money, he borrows from his girlfriend, then his mother, and finally some bad guys that chase him. Despite all of this, he cannot stop gambling.
- Director: Karel Reisz
- Writer: James Toback
- Stars: James Caan, Paul Sorvino, Lauren Hutton
7. California Split (1974)
When a casual gambler befriends a professional one, he begins to mirror his life, sending both deeper into the sleazy gambling world where the stakes keep getting bigger.
- Director: Robert Altman
- Writer: Joseph Walsh
- Stars: George Segal, Elliott Gould, Ann Prentiss
- Gross USA: $10,900,000
6. Casino (1995)
A tale of greed, deception, money, power, and murder occur between two best friends: a mafia enforcer and a casino executive compete against each other over a gambling empire, and over a fast living and fast loving socialite.
- Director: Martin Scorsese
- Writers: Nicholas Pileggi (book), Nicholas Pileggi (screenplay)
- Stars: Robert De Niro, Sharon Stone, Joe Pesci
- Budget:$52,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $9,946,480, 26 November 1995
- Gross USA: $42,512,375
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $116,112,375
5. Two for the Money (2005)
After suffering a career-ending knee injury, a former college football star aligns himself with one of the most renowned touts in the sports-gambling business.
- Director: D.J. Caruso
- Writer: Dan Gilroy
- Stars: Matthew McConaughey, Al Pacino, Rene Russo
- Budget:$35,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $8,703,240, 9 October 2005
- Gross USA: $22,991,379
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $30,526,509
4. Rounders (1998)
A young, reformed gambler must return to playing big stakes poker to help a friend pay off loan sharks, while balancing his relationship with his girlfriend and his commitments to law school.
- Director: John Dahl
- Writers: David Levien, Brian Koppelman
- Stars: Matt Damon, Edward Norton, Gretchen Mol
- Budget:$12,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $8,459,126, 13 September 1998
- Gross USA: $22,912,409
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $22,912,409
3. Uncut Gems (2019)
With his debts mounting and angry collectors closing in, a fast-talking New York City jeweler risks everything betting on sports in hope of staying afloat and alive.
- Directors: Benny Safdie, Josh Safdie
- Writers: Ronald Bronstein, Josh Safdie
- Stars: Adam Sandler, Julia Fox, Idina Menzel
- Budget: $19,000,000 (estimated)
- Opening Weekend USA: $537,242, 15 December 2019
- Gross USA: $50,023,780
- Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $50,023,780
2. The Cincinnati Kid (1965)
An up-and-coming poker player tries to prove himself in a high-stakes match against a long-time master of the game.
- Director: Norman Jewison
- Writers: Richard Jessup (novel), Ring Lardner Jr. (screenplay)
- Stars: Steve McQueen, Ann-Margret, Edward G. Robinson
- Gross USA: $15,260,000
1. The Hustler (1961)
An up-and-coming pool player plays a long-time champion in a single high-stakes match.
- Director: Robert Rossen
- Writers: Sidney Carroll (screenplay) (as Sydney Carroll), Robert Rossen (screenplay)
- Stars: Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie
- Budget:$2,000,000 (estimated)